An Examination of Conscience for Children
Using the 10 Commandments
1. I am the Lord your God. You shall not have strange gods before me.
Have I wanted more things, making things or money more important than God?
Have I made an idol of sports or entertainment figures?
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
Do I use God’s name carelessly?
Do I use God’s name in anger?
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
Did I attend Mass on Sunday?
Did my behavior make it difficult or impossible for my parents to get to church on time?
Have I remembered to pray daily?
4. Honor your father and your mother.
Do I obey my parents?
Have I done my chores without complaining?
Do I do my chores without being reminded?
Have I been disrespectful to teachers, coaches or others in authority?
5. You shall not kill.
Do I keep my patience or do I lose my temper?
Do I hold grudges and try to get even with others?
Have I been unfair to others, especially those who are different than I am?
6. You shall not commit adultery.
Do I show respect for my body?
Do I respect the bodies of others?
Do I avoid harmful things like drugs, tobacco and alcohol?
7. You shall not steal.
Have I taken something that belongs to someone else?
Have I “forgotten” to return something that I borrowed?
Have I used money responsibly?
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
Do I play fairly or do I ever cheat at school or games?
Have I been honest or have I lied?
Have I hurt someone by what I have said or done?
Have I copied someone else’s homework?
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
Have I been jealous of the friends that someone else has?
Have I tried to be kind to others?
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.
Have I been jealous of the things that my friends have?
Have I nagged my parents into buying things because my friends have them?
Have I helped others when they needed help?